Constructed in 1905 as two portable classrooms from Grant Elementary School. In 1915, a Nihonmachi midwife named Mrs. Hori purchased them and had them moved to her property at 580 North Fifth St. The portable classrooms became Mrs. Hori’s home, boarding house, and midwifery practice. Many local Nisei claim the Hori Midwifery as their birthplace. The building burned down in November of 2007 but was subsequently rebuilt.