Built in 1910 as the Kuwabara Hospital, this building was originally named for its first resident physician, Dr. Taisuke Kuwabara. The hospital closed its doors in 1934. Several community members purchased the building and turned it into the headquarters of the Nihonjinkai (Japanese Association). The hospital was renamed the Issei Memorial Building after renovation in 1983. Designated as a San Jose Historic Landmark, it currently houses the San Jose JACL, San Jose Taiko offices, and the Contemporary Asian Theater Scene.